How to Get Rid of the Pacifier
The pacifier, or whatever name you call it in your home, is a staple for infants. Choosing whether the pacifier is for your child is up to you, but there are pros
and cons to know about. Also, if you do choose to give your little one a pacifier, there are steps to eventually wean them off.
The Basics of Pacifier Use
Pacifiers are used for a variety of reasons, but most of all for comfort. Pop in your baby’s pacifier to cease the cries or help ease them to sleep. Some babies suck their thumb or fingers in the womb and bring the habit into the world.
These days pacifiers come in all sizes and materials, but in general, they’re a rubber, plastic, or silicone nipple substitute. It satisfies babies’ needs to suck when they’re not eating.
Pros and Cons of a Pacifier
Like many decisions regarding your baby, deciding on pacifier use has pros and cons.
The pros include:
- Offers a temporary distraction.
- Calms a fussy baby.
- Can help sleep.
- Can comfort them in situations including on a plane or at a quiet event
- May help avoid SIDS
- It’s a myth pacifiers negatively impact teeth
- Can provide pain relief
The cons include:
- Potential nipple confusion
- Impact on teeth if the pacifier isn’t discontinued early
- Potential for choking
Pacifier weaning might sound like it will be a headache, but it doesn’t have to be! In fact, many babies will give up their pacifiers on their own.
Here are a few tips for pacifier weaning:
- Plan ahead and create a schedule to wean gradually
- Talk to your child
- Take the pacifier away after discussion, and do not make it a question
- Encourage your child that they can do it
- You can opt for multiple-day plans or go cold turkey
- Try a white lie: Bring in the binky fairy!
- Limit how many pacifiers are available
Starting and Stopping the Pacifier
If you choose to use a pacifier with your little one, they will likely get attached. Planning ahead and preparing your child to get rid of their binky when the time comes is critical to weaning. Move forward with these tips to make the best decision for you!